Friday, March 27, 2009

Stolen from E. Lockhart

1) What author do you own the most books by?
Tamora Pierce. Eventually I'd like to own all her books, but for now I'm just picking them up from used bookstores one at a time. My favorite, by the way, is Bloodhound.

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
Sunshine by Robin McKinley. I keep lending it to people and buying a new one, then getting my lent copy back years later.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
No. English is changing all the time, and it's not so much of a no-no any more.

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
None at the moment. Okay, maybe Dr. Ladislaus Nim from The Eight and The Fire by Katherine Neville. But that's probably because I'm halfway through The Fire right now.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children; i.e., Goodnight Moon does not count)?
Either Sunshine or the Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
The Enchanted Forest series by Patricia Wrede.

7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
You know, one man's trash is another man's treasure. It's not for me to decide what a bad book is.

8) What is the best book you've read in the past year?
The one I've enjoyed the most: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
It would probably be a different book for each person. I think everyone should read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and City of Thieves by David Benioff, but not everyone would like them.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
Abraham Verghese, even though he's only written one novel. : )

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
I'm excited for the Paper Towns movie, since John Green is writing the screenplay and it won't follow the book as closely as many screenplays do.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
The Hunger Games, because then kids will probably stop reading the book.

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
The closest thing I can think of is a dream I had, many years ago, about Rufio from Hook. Which is a movie, not a book.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?
I am a closet Jude Devereaux fan, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
Thomas Pynchon. The Crying of Lot 49. I think this is the main reason I changed my major to Linguistics after my freshman year. (Not the book so much as the fact that my instructor gave me a C on an assignment for saying that I didn't like the book. No freedom of expression in THAT English class.)

16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?
I've been in Kiss Me Kate?

17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
The Russians, hands down. : )

18) Roth or Updike?
I've never read Roth and I haven't read enough Updike to make a judgment.

19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers?
Dave Eggers.

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Shakespeare.

21) Austen or Eliot?
Austen, although I've somehow never read Eliot.

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
Most of it. I haven't read many classics, although I'm slowly trying to catch up. Very slowly.

23) What is your favorite novel?
At the moment it's probably a tie between The Hunger Games and City of Thieves. But The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner is never far behind.

24) Play?
It's a musical. The Phantom of the Opera.

25) Poem?
I'm kind of 'meh' about poetry. I love Tennyson though.

26) Essay?
Hmm, I have no idea!

27) Short Story?
"The Cask of Amontillado" by Edgar Allen Poe.

28) Work of nonfiction?
The Billionaire's Vinegar by Benjamin Wallis.

29) Who is your favorite writer?
Geraldine Brooks is up there, because she's so versatile. I also love Lauren Groff, Jane Austen, and many others.

30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
Um I don't want to name names but she's a woman and her initials are SM.

31) What is your desert island book?
The Ultimate Survival Guide.

32) And... what are you reading right now?
The Fire by Katherine Neville and American Rifle by Alexander Rose.

No comments: