Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas from Jake and Ina Garten

Christmas Eve dinner: an Ina spectacular!

Finally, I have had a chance to cook again! Because it's been such a long time since I made one of Ina's recipes, I decided to do a bunch of them all at once for Christmas Eve dinner, Christmas breakfast, and Christmas dinner. Tonight I started with Green Salad with Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette, Roasted Vegetable Soup, and Raspberry Cheesecake. Below, behold the Roasted Winter Vegetables that form the base of the soup. I'd made them before, and I love the combination of carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, and butternut squash. Next to them, you can see the brioche rolls that were destined to become croutons.


The croutons were delicious. My timer didn't go off so they baked a little longer than I meant them to, but the end result was perfect. They were crispy and complemented the soup and salad perfectly.
Here's the soup. It was great, although I thought it was lacking something. An acidity, maybe. In any case, I'll be happy to have it again for lunch tomorrow. But the best thing of all was the salad dressing. It had more ingredients than most recipes in this book, and it was sooooo good. The garlic, mayonnaise, and olive oil combined perfectly with the mustard and vinegar. Yum! I'll definitely be keeping a jar on hand at all times.
Finally...the cheesecake. I tried to make a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving, but I didn't cook it long enough and it was a little too rich. Not a success. This one, though, was much lighter (and fully cooked). There are hints of lemon and vanilla in it. The raspberry sauce was super easy and really good. I'm glad it's so good, because Casey and I will be eating the whole thing!

No comments: