Sunday, January 24, 2010

Broccoli & Bow Ties and Birthday Sheet Cake

Yum! Pasta with broccoli, garlic, pine nuts, lemon, and parmesan. Ina's Broccoli & Bow Ties (obviously I used farfalle instead of bowties) was as good as it sounds. This comes from the Kids! section of The Barefoot Contessa Family Style, because it's so simple. It's not bland, though, thanks to the addition of the garlic and lemon zest. It was easy to make and delicious, which are both things I've come to expect from Ina Garten's recipes.


Here we have the Birthday Sheet Cake, which I made in honor of my fiance's birthday. We decorated it together. As you can see, we're just about ready to start our own bakery specializing in cake decorating...not.

I admit I was a little disappointed with the frosting. The cake itself is amazing--it's a buttery and rich white cake with, you guessed it, lemon zest. But I'm a little tired of all the lemon zest so I used orange zest instead and I'm glad I did. The cake is moist and yummy. It ALMOST overflowed the pan while it was in the oven but in the end it was fine.

The frosting, like I mentioned, was not my favorite. It's just semi-sweet chocolate chips, some cream, and a little butter and vanilla. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate and this was just a little too semi-sweet. Plus, it never came to the right consistency so it was like pouring fondue over the cake. Actually, that sounds delicious. Maybe it's just that I don't love chocolate. I've been scraping it off the top of my pieces of cake and leaving just a hint, which is enough for me.

No comments: