Sunday, April 4, 2010

Review of Mistwood


Mistwood
by Leah Cypress

Young Adult Fantasy

Pub date May 2010


I was eager to read this book because the back says, "For fans of Kristin Cashore's Graceling and Fire, Tamora Pierce, and Megan Whalen Turner's Attolia books." As some of you know, Tamora Pierce is the author who made me a reader. I love Kristin Cashore, both as an author and as an awesome person, and I've been trying to get my hands on the Attolia books for several months. (I had one in my hand, finally, but lent it to someone and never saw it again.) So I had high hopes and expectations for Mistwood. It didn't let me down.

Isabel is the Shifter. For hundreds of years, it has been her duty to protect the king of Samorna. But this time, when the new king comes to summon her from the Mistwood, she finds that she does not have hundreds of years of memory to rely on. Her knowledge comes in flashes, disconnected bits of remembering that indicate that everything is not as it should be. And, most troubling of all, Isabel is exhibiting human characteristics that have no place within an immortal being. Can Isabel remember who she is--and how to shift--before the king's enemy strikes? Does she even want to?

You will be sucked into the land of Samorna from the very first page.

No comments: