Friday, August 20, 2010

Review of Where She Went


Where She Went
by Gayle Forman
Young Adult fiction
Pub date March 2011

I feel like anything I say about this book will be a spoiler, so I'll keep it short. It rocked. In many ways. It's hard to imagine what could possibly follow IF I STAY...no conflict could ever be as wrenching and poignant as the one Mia faces in the first book.

From the first pages of WHERE SHE WENT, we see where Adam and Mia went in the three years since the end of IF I STAY. The question, then, is less where they went and more how they got there, and why. Forman uses the same style of flashbacks alternating with a day in real time, only this time the story is from Adam's perspective, and Adam is far more complicated than Mia was. The characters have grown up, and Forman has dealt with it brilliantly.

As someone who lived and breathed music for several years, I have a special appreciation for the insights into a rock god's life that this book offers. And as someone who has been in Adam's place, I appreciate the honesty in his character.

I'm not going to say any more. It's worth the wait to find out yourself.

No comments: