Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Review of Divergent


Divergent
by Veronica Roth
Young Adult Dystopian
Pub date May 3rd, 2011

Do you ever read a book that's so awesome that it ruins the next five books for you? Divergent is that kind of book. Every book I've picked up this week was just not what I wanted to be reading. I wanted to be reading more Divergent.

It's sometime in the future, and Chicago is in ruins. The city is divided among the five factions: Abnegation, Candor, Erudite, Amity, and Dauntless. Beatrice has grown up in Abnegation, wearing gray clothes and trying to make sure her every action is selfless. But every morning before classes she watches the Dauntless leap from a moving train and wonders what it would be like to be one of them.

After her aptitude test, the day before she must choose a faction, Beatrice has an opportunity to find out. Her choice sets in motion a chain of events that no one, especially Beatrice, could have predicted.

I loved this book. At first I was a little wary, because the dystopian world is one that I had a hard time believing, but within a few pages I was swept up in the story. Beatrice is the kind of character that I really like: strong, different, and struggling with an identity change. There is plenty of face-punching, awesome tests of daring and skill, a delicious romance, and a surprising twist that makes the book impossible to put down. In short, reading Divergent is like jumping onto a speeding train and holding on for dear life. (And then being cruelly pushed off before you're ready. I hope book 2 is forthcoming.)

No comments: