Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Review of Before I Fall and The Postmistress

The Postmistress
by Sarah Blake
Adult Historical Fiction
Due February 2010

I wasn't so sure about this one when I read the flap copy. I'm not a huge fan of WWII fiction, but I loved GUERNSEY LITERARY so I decided to give it a shot. This is a novel about three women: Iris, a small-town postmaster on Cape Cod; Emma, the new wife of the town doctor; and Frankie, an American reporter who is reporting from London. All three women experience the war in different ways. I liked this book because it walked the line between light and thought-provoking. It was very well-written, and the characters were completely believable as women who were living in a different time and place. Watch for this in February.

Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver
Young Adult Fiction
Due February 2010

This is Groundhog Day (or Replay) for teenaged girls. Sam Kingston lives the last day of her life, February 12th, and dies in a horrific car accident. She wakes up in her own bed--on February 12th again. Sam relives her last day 6 times, each new time trying to change the factors that are making her repeat the 12th of February. What starts out as a Mean Girls-esque trashy novel becomes unbelievably deep and compelling. Lauren Oliver's depiction of teenage relationships is dead-on (pun intended), and you will find this novel un-put-down-able.

1 comment:

Chocolate Bark Recipes said...

I enjoyed reading yoour post