Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My 2012 Wishlist

Hello readers--

First, an apology for my long hiatus. Many of you know that I left bookselling at the end of August to pursue my dreams of living by the beach. I'm volunteering in a library now, but I haven't had access to any galleys. So forgive me if I'm a little behind the times, book-wise. There are no general bookstores in or near where I live. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

I have been paying attention to what's coming out in the next few months, though, and I want to share the titles I'm excited about. Without further ado, here is the first category in my 2012 wishlist:

Young Adult:

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler: January 3rd from Simon Pulse
A once-bitten, twice-shy heroine who bakes lots of sweets? A winter romance? Sign me up! I love the way that Sarah Ockler portrays the magnified drama of being a teenager in such a way that you empathize with the characters.

Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick: January 28th from Lerner Publishing Group
I was sold on Ilsa J. Bick when I read Ashes; Drowning Instinct, while less apocalyptic, promises the same gritty, emotional ride.

The Agency #3: The Traitor and the Tunnel by Y. S. Lee: February 28th from Candlewick Press
If you haven't read this series, check it out. They're Victorian mysteries with an atypical heroine: rescued from the gallows as a child, Mary Quinn grew up in a boarding school for female detectives. Romance, intrigue, Victorian history--all the things I love.

Croak by Gina Damico: March 20th from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Lex Bartleby is a troublemaker. Her family finally sends her to live with her Uncle Mort for the summer--where she ends up learning the family business: reaping. This promises to be a hysterically funny, insightful novel from a debut author. I've read Gina's writing--we went to college together--so I know that this one is not to be missed.


The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman: April 10th from Random House Children's Books
Like her other books, The Book of Blood and Shadow promises to be fast-paced and creatively plotted. Robin Wasserman is the master of the plot twist. Add in Prague, some old manuscripts, and some mysterious conspirators and you've got the makings of a great story.

The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi: May 1st from Little, Brown
This companion to Ship Breakers is more dystopian grunge from a writer who is gaining popularity with each book.

Crazy by Amy Reed: June 12th from Simon Pulse
Amy Reed takes controversial topics and makes them real. She doesn't push the "moral of the story," she makes you understand why teenagers sometimes turn to the dark side--and what it's like for them when they're there.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone #2 by Laini Taylor: September from Little, Brown
I probably shouldn't include this one, since she's still writing it--but I really can't wait for this book. Daughter of Smoke and Bone was the most magical, exquisite YA novel I've read this year (okay, so maybe it's tied with Chime) and I'm eagerly awaiting the continuation of the story.

No comments: